Monday, June 21, 2010

Memories with grandpa...


Sometimes, you cannot deny it... our relatives are getting older! It is sad, but age is inevitable. We are all getting older. My grandpa has been falling a bit for the first time, and forgetting things, so I just want to honor him by sharing a few things we do together, or how I am remembering him...

1) At Thanksgiving meals, he will always pray as our family holds hands.

2) His snow white hair, and his eyes that express the years he has lived.

3) Some of my favorite memories with him are when we play the card game 500 Rummy. He told we once, that, if you dealt cards from the bottom of the card deck in the Wild West, you could be shot legally. So now if one of us accidentally deals from the bottom of the deck, we can mimic a gun with our hands to "shoot" each other, and we get a few extra points.

4) Every time I received good grades, or made the distinguished/honor roll, he would give me 10 dollars.

5) He loves chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. (So, undeniably over the years, my own calorie intake of cake at every one of his parties has been huge! Thank goodness for exercising.)

6) I love to see his face as he opens up every one of his Christmas gifts, and each year all he asks for are gift certificates to car washes, but we never listen...

7) One year he took me to a cafe for lunch and persuaded me to try a sandwich that had a slice of pineapple in it, along with ham, lettuce, and a special sauce. It was delicious!

8) Every piano recital, dance performance, or school function that he attended, I am grateful for!

I love him so much, and to all of you that are having trouble with relatives or friends, not even specifically grandpas, you need to let past grievances with them go. Forgiveness is keeping yourself from bitterness! It will be hard at first to completely forget, but life is too short to miss out on those that were placed in your life for a reason. They won't be here forever. The small things can be what matters. You don't need to plan a vacation or a huge party, just a handwritten letter or phone call will do at first, even if you are with them with others around. But reach out to them... they may just want your attention and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment